Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Useless Things I Learned at Work Today

The cutting job is done, anyway. I went with literal/boring to replace childish/smutty. Verily, the Lord hath lent me his hacksaw.

In the course of my work, I learned the following, none of which is any use to me but which I'm happy to know anyway:

  • No, it's not from "for unlawful carnal knowledge". "With precious few exceptions, words of acronymic origin date from the 20th century and no earlier. It's almost guaranteed, therefore, any word from before the time of automobiles did not spring to life from a series of initials becoming so common folks began pronouncing it as its own word."
  • "All living animals, at the least, have 7% genetic flaws ... A flaw may be anything like an undesirable coat color to a bad heart." Wonder if it's true of humans. I'm at risk for a bad heart, but I think my coat's a nice color. This lady also says you shouldn't breed a mean-tempered animal; if that were applied to humans I wouldn't be here.
  •  There's a restaurant in Quebec City whose name means "The Venial Sin". No explanation given, unless it's the part about it "reinventing itself ceaselessly".

No comments:

Post a Comment