Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Real Housewives of the Old Testament

I've never understood how the "strange" woman in Proverbs 7:14 -- 15 was reasoning:

I vowed victims for prosperity, this day I have paid my vows.  [15] Therefore I am come out to meet thee, desirous to see thee, and I have found thee.

"Thee" being a man she invites to spend the night while her husband's away with a bag of money. So -- she promised to sacrifice X number of goats if the husband's business did well; she did that today and now figures she can do whatever she wants, at least for a while? Or does she think the sacrifice somehow induced God to help her meet the man on the side? That "therefore" seems to join it all together. But why is she even mentioning religious practices to him? It hardly sets the tone; she might as well proposition him by saying "Let's go break the sixth commandment".

Is this meant to show how irrational her thinking has become? That if you keep deceiving someone else, you'll start deceiving yourself?

She is, I suppose, the Non-Valiant Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment