Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tale of two panicky days

Yesterday reminded me of another day, long ago, which I also spent scrambling to fix something I hadn't broken, begging favors of people who had no reason to want to help me.

For what I did yesterday, I've been given a word of praise; back then, my only reward was the probability that the boss would, someday, stop being mad at me for something that was someone else's fault. (Well, there was also the moment when a certain VIP relented and gave me the signature I needed, saying that now I knew more than my boss . . . "No  comment, sir," I said cheerfully.)

Being appreciated for something besides your handiness as an object of blame can happen at any stage of your life or career -- but when it does happen, that's when you've arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment