Friday, April 27, 2012

Real Catholic Confession

I used to cut Michael Voris a lot more slack till he made the Amazing Grace video.

It came with a note that this hymn was theologically unsound, or something -- I'm not checking back after all this time -- and I thought, "This should be interesting. After all, he has a degree in theology."

Well, none of his theological expertise was on view there -- all he did was run through the lyrics and bawl "Stop!" every few words, then point out something supposedly un-Catholic like calling oneself a "wretch". Which, it seemed to me, had more to do with his feelings about the song than with anything he may have learned in God 101 or whatever they called it. If he had calmly pointed out stuff that was wrong and that the average viewer was unlikely to catch, I would've gone on listening to him. For a while, anyway. But after that, it seemed to me he wasn't attempting to use his hard-won learning.


If this is seen as jumping on the bandwagon against him, well, it's been at the back of my mind for a while, and the attention he's been getting lately on a much more distasteful matter has brought it forward again.

No comments:

Post a Comment