Friday, March 9, 2012

Give 'em enough rope

That's how I look at the NYT "are you still Catholic???" ads. Apparently designed to give tepid Catholics one last nudge out of the Church, they're more likely to backfire when those people see they're being told what to do by someone with less claim on them than the Church.

Or maybe I'm just thinking that to justify my not complaining more strongly about them -- for instance, to the NYT itself. 

I've edited a couple of articles that were obviously meant to provoke anyone who believed in any religion (always excepting Islam), but only drew a single mild comment from a Christian. And I think they alienated lots of readers who might not be religious themselves but are uncomfortable with contempt for religion.

Anyway, I can hope that's what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment