Thursday, January 24, 2013

Catholic Universe?

Such A Pretty Bubble provokes thought again, this time on whether a subset of American Catholics is letting its religion turn into more of a brand -- about getting the right look, the right toys and videos for your kids, the right whatever. I'm not commenting simply because I've lived away from the U.S. so long, and Catholicism is in a different position in Canada -- different, also, in French Canada than "English" Canada.

What I do want to say here: What's the intention behind starting up acceptably Catholic businesses/industries? Just to have decent choices to make for our families? Or to construct a parallel Catholic universe where we can feel we're not of the world, but hey, not missing any of the fun either?

As I've mentioned, I edit for a secular company. Even so, my job sometimes means cleaning up writers' language. It's partly to keep the advertisers happy and partly because we just don't want to be that kind of site. There are plenty of them already. Would I be doing more good working for Catholic media? I don't think so. We have a part in keeping the outer world clean too.

No comments:

Post a Comment