Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Facilities

Plan Canada says:

Did you know that a lack of girls-only washrooms is one of the main reasons adolescent girls in the developing world stop attending school?
 Well, I never would've thought of it. But yes, I can believe that such a small thing can throw children's lives off course.

That said . . . Is it the girls themselves who want the separate washrooms, or their parents who are using it as justification to keep them out of school? Girls-only washrooms can be bad enough in their own way; I seldom went into the ones at my schools once I got into junior high as they tended to be de facto clubs for the girls who were skipping class to smoke. As I didn't indulge in either, I wasn't really entitled to relieve myself.

Still -- it comes back to things like this making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment