Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Casual Friday, Casual Vacancy, Casual Labour, But Not Casual Sex

Got indefinitely detained in the dentist's waiting room this morning, dragging into this afternoon. (When I was finally ushered in to see him, he greeted me with "Are you still speaking to me?")

Anyway, in a magazine I'd never have read otherwise, I found an interview with Tracy McMillan, author of this book, which apparently doesn't mince words.(Chapters entitled You're a Liar, You're Selfish, and it gets into namecalling.)

The article I read isn't online anywhere I can find it, so I'll have to paraphrase freely. In the Amazon interview, she says, "We wish we could just date and have sex casually, but many many of us just can't. It has nothing to do with morality, we just don't seem to be able to. And there's nothing wrong with that." In the other article, she more or less said it was impossible for sex to be casual -- we think it can be because we've found a way to keep it from leading to babies, but we can't even manage that much of the time. And it can still make people kill each other and "abdicate the throne". And, as she says at Amazon, "I will be drunk-dialing you for sure about three weeks after I start having sex with you."

Babies, death, The King's Speech, drunken phone calls in the middle of the night -- these things are not brought on by a harmless pastime.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment