Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Now, maybe if it were a WINE bar . . .

The dead tree ("nonline"??) version of Financial Post Magazine today has a short last-page article on the restaurant that's covered here -- a Spanish-themed place in Calgary that has a largish statue of the BVM behind the bar, because it "kind of wanted to cause some controversy". Just kind of, you see; if they'd definitely wanted to cause some controversy, they could've named it Mohammed's in honour of the people who taught Spain so much of what it knows.

Also, they say, religious images are "not unusual" in such places in Spain and South America. Well, I've been to Spain, and while I didn't do a lot of hanging around bars (not a wise thing for a foreign woman, especially a young one as I was then, to do), I saw the insides of several of them -- and the only statue I remember is one of a girl wearing a mantilla and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment